Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Long live the hippie wardrobe...


Skar Designs necklaces, Ash & Rose Kantha all bracelet, ART Designs gold ear pins, Jessica Ricci Jewelry Buddha ring, boho outfit, bohemian outfit, hippie outfit

Have you ever tried to totally re-define your style?  I've been having fun thinking back over the years to all of the different styles I've tried to embody since high school.  I went through a phase where low-riding tear-away pants were basically my bread and butter to a phase where I really just wanted to be a skateboarder (decked out in Vans and Billabong tees).  Midway through high school, I decided that I really should be preppier and my skater girl clothes (complete with an abundance of safety pins) were replaced with polo shirts and cardigans.  I also enjoyed making my own clothes, whether it was buying old concert tees at Salvation Army, cutting them up, and redesigning them or browsing through Anthropologie with a sketch pad and then doing what I could to re-create my favourites, it is safe to say that in high school, I ran the gamut of style.  

And then I saw "The OC." 

It was during my senior year of high school and was a serious turning point for my wardrobe.  I wanted to be Summer Roberts.  I wanted the glitz.  I wanted the glam.  I wanted to pack my bags and move to California and drive a sports car.  And then I started to pick up on boho style.  

I can clearly remember the summer before going to college.  I was desperate to re-invent myself since, you know, I was making my first big independent move to another state and frankly.  I was working at Charlotte Russe and was stockpiling inventory for myself.  I knew that right before my move, I'd get 50% off of everything and so, my new wardrobe was born.   I bought maxi skirts, I bought mini dresses with bell sleeves, I bought knee-high wedge boots with fringe.  I was actually able to perfectly replicate a "Marissa" outfit and it was the pride of my new college wardrobe.  

Since then, I've drifted around the stylesphere as trends and my jobs have changed.  I tried to streamline things while keeping a boho touch while living in NYC.  I got a bit more conservative when I started working as a teaching assistant.  In Germany, as a dance instructor, I was able to relax back into the wonderful world of boho a bit more.  Luckily for me, palazzo pants, crop tops, and fringe were totally in again.  

... and then I fell into a slump.  While in between jobs/homes/lifestyles, I tried not to buy anything (hello, minimalism).  I tried to re-invent what I had.  When I got my full-time teaching job in Vegas (wow, do I move a lot), I sold the majority of my hippie clothes to welcome in a more professional wardrobe.  And then job stress hit, I lost almost 20 lbs, and had to sell off my professional clothes in favor of anything that was inexpensive, comfortable, and wouldn't fall off at the slightest nudge.  

A few nights ago, I was chatting with a friend who has often helped me attempt to reconnect with what make me, me and since part of that has commonly been fashion, naturally, the conversation turned towards picking out clothes.  I mentioned that I've been trying to dress more professionally for work and do you know what his response was?  

He basically said, "Forget that!  Be a hippie.  That's who you are."

And so, tout le monde, this wonderful, comfortable, relaxed outfit was born.  I know that a lot of people feel that fashion is only a surface thing, but I tell ya... I felt more like myself while wearing these threads than I have in a long time.  

Long live the hippie wardrobe! 


What's sustainable about this outfit? 
: the sweater is made from recycled fibers
: the necklaces are handmade
: the earrings are handmade
: the ring is handmade
: the bracelets are handmade and fair trade






3 comments: